Thursday, October 20, 2011

RICO, OPHIR AND TELLURIDE, CO

In our campground

Dolores River

Old Coke Ovens

Rico, CO

Near the Ophir turnoff



I took Mitzy out around the frosty dog run Wednesday morning then came back for my camera since there was some nice colour and reflections to be had.  This Dolores River RV Park just north of the town of Dolores is one of the prettiest parks we’ve stayed in.  There are huge areas of cottonwood trees that are at their peak colour and pathways through the groves and along the river and large ponds.
We hit the road at 9:50 am bound for Telluride.  I thought we were getting a little jaded with all the mountains and colour but boy, today was probably the highlight of Colorado!   We were up close and personal with a lot of great looking mountains all day on the drive.  We got to Ophir just after noon and drove a little way up the Ophir Pass Rd to have our lunch all by ourselves.  After lunch I walked about 1/2 of a mile further up the road and got some even better views.  Sadly, the road was better than what we’d already driven so I could have driven more and then walked further .  I probably gained 500 feet or more so I did quite a bit of puffing.  Aileen and I decided Ophir has to be the prettiest location to live in. 
From there we finally made our way to Telluride which was rather anti climatic as it is another tourist trap town which we normally avoid.  The only surprise was seeing the twin high waterfalls at the head of the valley with the big house or several houses beside the falls perched on the cliff edge.
Our return toward home was fairly slow since we were getting nice light on a different aspect than in the morning.  We also ventured a few kms up the Alta Lake Rd before turning back.   Aileen drove from Lizard Head Pass home.  I was fairly beat with all my walking and many times in and out of the car.  I took 437 shots, so about 140 different subjects.
PLEASE NOTE- THERE ARE TWO MORE SETS OF PICTURES FOLLOWING THIS POST.  JUST KEEP SCROLLING DOWN.

No comments:

Post a Comment