Wednesday, December 6, 2023

LEAVING THE MOUNTAINS BEHIND AND SKIPPING AHEAD TO SHARE SOME WHITEWATER DRAW PHOTOS.

 I have more photos from the Chiricahua Mtns near Portal, AZ but wanted to share a few images from yesterday here at Whitewater Draw.  These were selected from the ones I have edited from yesterday afternoon.  I haven't gotten to the ones I took last evening yet.  We were down at the viewing area until dark then went down again at 7 this morning with the temperature right on freezing.  Already a lot of the cranes had departed and by 8 am there were very few left.  We spent an hour down there again tonight.  I met a couple I knew from PSA photo society that I belonged to for years and attended many annual conferences in various places around the continent.  The couple parked right behind us in a 1985 VW van are from Pender Island so we had some common ground to cover.  

We went for a drive this morning and afternoon and swung over to Tombstone where we gassed up and then headed south.  We tend to avoid the touristy spots.  We picked up a few geocaches as we drove along.  We had our lunch on the side of the road up above Bisbee on the Old Divide Highway.  Nice and quiet and we could sit in the sun.  Later I did park down in Bisbee and grab a few photos with my phone.  We went to Douglas and visited the Walmart as we needed a few things.  It is right on the border so a large number of the shoppers were from Mexico.

I think tomorrow will be a rest day and we'll spend one more night here before heading somewhere else.  Don't know where yet, maybe I'll figure it out tomorrow.

Sandhill Crane.

Sandhill Cranes.

Say's Phoebe.

Sandhill Cranes.

Sandhill Cranes.

Sandhill Cranes.

Sandhill Cranes.

Sandhill Cranes.

Male Northern Pintail Duck.


I believe this is a Vermillion Flycatcher.  If you have a different ID, leave a comment.

Ladder-backed Woodpecker.

Sandhill Crane.

Sandhill Crane.

Canyon Towhee.  These birds crawl along the ground eating seed.  They didn't seem to stand up unless they had to move a distance.


1 comment:

  1. Wow, you got a long way south quickly! If it was me, I'd stay there a few days, with that kind of birding and those kinds of canyon walls around. Looks like a great spot. - Richard

    ReplyDelete