Sunday, October 1, 2017


Last Sunday, Charlie, John R and I took our ATVs for a run up the Cook Creek Forestry Road for my last ride this fall.  We had a nice day even though the lighting wasn't great.
We went up to Campbell River last Monday and got new tires all the way around on the motor home.  Kind of pricey but since the original tires were over ten years old, it just seemed prudent to get it done.  We went for lunch at Dick's Fish and Chips with Bill and visited until the job was complete.
We spent the night at Bill's then Tuesday morning we moved down to Miracle Beach Provincial Park to camp with John and Anne for three nights.  John and I geocached extensively for three days, mostly on foot so I was getting pretty tired by the end.  We had some good times though.  John and I did a night cache one night and that was a hoot.  You wander along the trails with flashlights looking for tiny reflectors that point you in the direction you must go.  This particular one was called a hat trick, in that there were three caches hidden along the route.  We were successful in finding them all!  The ladies went to Courtenay two days and Campbell River the other with various lists.  They were reasonably successful in their endeavours.
Last evening, we went to the Mekong Restaurant in Parksville with John and Sue and had a very nice meal.  They came back to the motor home with us and Janet and John joined us to do some final planning for our party.
We met RV group friends, Doug and Verona, at Montana's Steakhouse in Nanaimo for lunch today and had a good last visit before we head south.  This was our last chance to get together with them as Verona is off on a week long quilting retreat tomorrow.

Mitzy sound asleep in her bed.  Now that she's mostly blind and mostly deaf, she didn't even react to the flash.  In the past, just the focus light on the camera would cause her to open her eyes.

A Steller's Jay at Charlie and Sheila's the other day.  He seemed to be in distress in some way as he let me get to within six feet.  We thought he had something stuck in his throat or perhaps he had been stung in the mouth.  He did fly away after a bit. 

Charlie above Esary Lake

Some rocky scenery up the Cook-Horne Forest Service Road

Oops, tight fit.  We had to slide the back wheels over a few inches to get him through.

A pretty little waterfall up a side road on Sunday.  I doubt it will look as pristine next time I visit that area as there were ribbons nearby indicating that logging is imminent.

I spotted this turkey vulture on the Oyster River while we were geocaching one day.  He is looking for spawned out salmon to feast on.

While geocaching along a trail the other day, I spotted this ancient pear tree loaded with fruit.  They  are a long way from being ripe and I bet a bear gets them before they do ripen.

The Red Oosier Dogwood is starting to wear fall colours

This is how a turkey vulture washes his face

Turkey Vulture wondering what I'm going to do

No comments:

Post a Comment