Friday, September 3, 2021

SEPTEMBER ALREADY

 

Well, it has been a long while since I last posted here.  We have been keeping busy with canning.  We have now done apricot jam, blueberry jelly, grape jelly, pickled beets, peach jam and canned peaches.  We’ll do more peaches and some pears in a while.

Geocaching has been a large part of the past couple weeks as well.  Aileen and I did a long day trip over to the Greenwood area and cached up in the hills.  We only saw two vehicles the whole time up there.  Lots of squirrels and chipmunks and a couple bears but not much else for wildlife.  The road ended a couple hundred metres from the US border.  We picked up about 56 caches that day.  I also drove up to White Lake west of Salmon Arm one day and did a maintenance run on the fifteen caches I have placed up there.

Closer to home I have done a bit of geocaching but mostly I have been putting caches out for others to find.  I have twenty six placed and published and people are finding them.  I have plans to put out quite a few more in the nearby area so they won’t be too far away for maintaining.  While setting out caches, I several times heard Sandhill cranes high overhead on their journey south.  A strange thing with them, they will be flying in a perfect formation when all of a sudden they will start spiraling around and back and forth.  I wonder if they ran into different wind currents and they are trying to find a more favourable one to continue south.

Our friends from Penticton, Bev, Karen and Pat are going to Cluxewe Resort near Port McNeill on northern Vancouver Island next week and Aileen is going to be housesitting looking after Sidney the cat.  He is diabetic and needs insulin shots twice a day.

A couple weeks ago our daughter Bev was home for a short visit so we drove up and visited with her and Kevin while they were laying paving stones on a jobsite.  We had a nice outdoor visit and helped pack blocks as well.  We did a bit of geocaching on the way home.

We’re enjoying the cooler air and when it isn’t smoky have the windows open for some fresh air.  It is much nicer for sleeping.  We’ve been to Karen’s a few times gardening and fencing.  The fencing had to wait for this cooler weather.  We’re still waiting for our kitchen table and chairs to arrive.  I ordered them June 2.



Lots of trees in this area and the bears kept hiding behind them



A geocaching supper in the hills

Sunset from Deer Park

A pair of spit bugs exchanging spit on my windshield.  I'm shooting from the steering wheel with my macro lens on my large camera.

Milkweed pod has burst open

White Lake just north of us

Paintbrush up in the hills where we were caching

Ready to can peaches

The geese heading north over us to go to Vasseux Lake for the night


Sunset here a few nights ago


The view from one of my caches looking down to where we live.  Taken with my phone.

To take this photo I had to poke my lens through one of the openings in the fence.  It turned out to be a shocking experience as I hadn't noticed the electric fence hiding in the grass at my feet.  That is one experience I don't wish to try again!  Just beyond the lake is McIntyre Bluff on the right.  We live just beyond that.  Taken with my 5D full frame DSLR with a polarizer filter.

Getting a view over the fence



No comments:

Post a Comment