Saturday, September 18, 2021

MOTORHOME TRIP COMING UP

 Aileen came home yesterday ending her house/cat sitting at Karen's so things are back to normal here.  I have been having fun putting out geocaches for others to find.  I take my full array of cameras along in the car and sometimes I find things to use them on.  I had another eight caches become active two days ago and I have another string of eight ready to upload when I get around to it.  I also went out Thursday and placed ten up a new road.  That will be a work in progress as there are lots more I intend to put in that area, I just have to find enough suitable containers.  All but the last two photos were taken on Thursday either on the way to or during my placing caches.

We hope to get away in the motorhome for a few days this week.  Not far, just something a bit different.


Here we have an Early Blue violet who seems to think it must be the start of Spring!


Poplar leaves from a distance with my super zoom camera

Heading up to my selected area




While up in the hills placing caches, I heard several flocks of Sandhill Cranes fly over.  I'm using a full frame digital camera with my 100-400 zoom lens and then heavily cropped.  The birds are so high up that often you can't see them unless the lighting is perfect.

For some reason, they will be blissfully flying along in formation then all of a sudden will start milling about.  It's almost like they suddenly forgot which direction they were going or something.  Perhaps they are changing altitude trying for a better wind current or something.  I have seen this many times.

When getting the coordinates for the geocache on the GPS, you have to let it sit for a few minutes each time and you should take at least three readings so I have time to wander about.  This little chipmunk was curious as to what I was doing in his area.


Later in the day at another location, I heard these two Sandhill Cranes right above me.  They seemed to have gotten separated from a flock and they were just circling and calling for a long time.  They seemed to be in a real panic.

Not far from home that morning, I swung off the highway just beyond Okanagan Falls and took this shot across the bottom of Skaha Lake to the town.

A few days ago I woke early and decided to go south of Oliver and take a photo over the vineyards as the sun first touched them.  When I got to my chosen spot this sunrise greeted me.  As it turned out these were the only shots I got as the clouds just got thicker and the sun didn't appear.



No comments:

Post a Comment