Tuesday, October 30, 2018

NEARLY TIME FOR ARIZONA


Our time in Grand Junction is drawing to a close.  We are planning to leave here Friday morning and spend three days on the road.   We’ve had a great time visiting our Colorado friends and have had lots of card games.  We went for lunch yesterday with Ken and Marie who had picked up Doug and Corrine who no longer travel to Caliente.  Corrine was the person who spoke up for me at the local Florence bank when I was trying to convert some money when we were first down there ten years ago.  The teller was giving me a hard time about ID and Corrine said “how about I vouch for him” as she overheard while standing at the next wicket.  It was nice to catch up with Doug and Corrine who are about 90 and 88 and have recently moved into assisted living. 
I took one day and wandered off geocaching and exploring and had a great time.  I did find 31 caches but spent more time with my camera poking around.  This is a huge area with lots left that I haven’t seen so if we happen to return, there is still new country for me to explore.
I was invited to put on a photo show last night using Jim and Judy’s large TV.  Ken & Marie, Karen, Jim & Jane, Verne, Ernie & Atha and her daughter Beth and son in law joined us.  Everyone seemed to enjoy watching and I didn’t hear any snoring.  Aileen is off to play cards with a group of ladies this afternoon and tonight we, and Jim & Judy, are going to play cards at Jim & Jane’s.  I’ve been taking advantage of this cooler, duller day to do a couple loads of laundry.  We had been having unseasonably warm weather but that apparently has ended.  Instead of being in the mid 70sF, we are now looking at mid to low 50s for highs.  The nightly hot tub at Caliente is calling to me.


On our after supper walk one evening down at the end of our street, we spotted this rainbow landing on Mt Garfield


The Gunnison River at the Escalante Canyon Road crossing

Escalante Canyon Road



As I was returning to Hwy 50 on the Escalante Canyon Road, I thought this clay hill looked neat against the backdrop of Grand Mesa.

Close up of the cows in Potter's Canyon

I took my lunch in my pack and walked to a geocache in this area then sat and ate my lunch with Potter's Canyon for a view.

Cottonwood Canyon

Along the 25 Mesa Road

90 degrees left from the above photo

And this one was about 30 degrees left of the first 

In this dry country I was surprised to spot this waterfall.  I suspect it is the end of an irrigation ditch that was delivering water to the fields above.

Swallow's nests under a rock overhang


Neat rock walls along the road

I thought this looked like an elephant's trunk and ears

This old house was right alongside the road

Another view

International truck

It was raining up on the Uncompadre Plateau

Aileen and I went for a walk down along the Colorado River about a mile from where we are parked



Walking/cycling path

Mt Garfield reflected

Mt Garfield and the Bookcliffs

Grand Mesa


No comments:

Post a Comment