Friday, September 14, 2012

GEOCACHING AND FIREWOOD


The title pretty much sums up my life lately.  I did go to town this morning to get my driver’s licence renewed for another five years.  It was a pleasant surprise to pay only $17 instead of $75, one of the benefits of turning 65.  Of course there are a lot of things not so good. 
Yesterday was a geocaching cycling day.  Packed a lunch and took off my trusty bike and went to the trails along Englishman River.  There are lots of caches hidden along the way.  I got 13 of the 14 I tried for and I had 29 written on my sheet.  I missed several along the way as I’m not familiar with the maze of trails.  I had an enjoyable day in nice scenery.  I was surprised at how many people I met mostly walking dogs or riding horses.   The only downside to the day was falling off my bike.  I had been riding in bright sunshine along a powerline when the GPS led me into a dark forest trail which suddenly got rough.  I put my foot out to steady myself but it turned out there was a hole there that I didn’t see since my glasses were still darkened.  I ended up with a few scrapes and bruises but non required medical care.  My aches and pains felt much better after a long soak in the tub.
 I was on the road Tuesday by 8 heading for Courtenay Motor Sports.  Got there just before 9 and left the quad for service.  I went geocaching in the Dove Cr area.  Did 9 caches over the day.  I quit part way through and went to have fish and chips on the pier in Campbell River.  Stopped and picked up Bill Van B to join me.    The fish was good!
On Wednesday,    we went to supper with my sister Janet and John for their 42nd anniversary.  Their daughter Merrilee and Derek and girls joined us at the Mekong Delta Restaurant. The food was really good and no problem getting everything gluten free.  Apparently the Vietnamese use very little gluten in their cooking normally.
We did some wood splitting with the machine on Wednesday for a little while and again today.  The tractor wouldn’t start this morning so I split some with the axe for something to do.  After it warmed up this afternoon, the tractor fired right up. I guess it is like me and likes the warmth.   Aileen came and ran the splitter while I loaded the blocks and Sheila stacked the split pieces.  Brother Chas was at work, of course.

A bit of Vancouver Island fall colour.  The Alder leaves sometimes go a little yellow

Some reflections in a side channel of the river


Belle (the dog) Aileen, Sheila and me.  If you look closely, you can see a couple of my scrapes on my left calf

No comments:

Post a Comment